Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tis the season....

....for giving and continuing Holiday traditions. When we lived in Apex, we had a neighbor who gave us this yummy Christmas chex mix every year. This stuff is addictive and I had to have the recipe. So this year, I decided to make my own and share some with our new neighbors. The recipe makes a ton of party mix and is great to give as gifts. Kevin took a huge container to work, we kept some at home, and three other containers were given to neighbors.

Here is what you'll need: 5 cups of Cheerios, 5 cups of chex cereal, 1 can of peanuts, 1 bag of pretzels, 1 large bag of m & m's (red and green or whatever the Holiday) or 2 small bags, 2 lbs. or 3 bags of white chocolate chips, 3 1/2 tbsp. of vegetable oil, and wax paper.




I did not have a bowl large enough to mix all ingredients at one time, so I mixed what I could which was, the m & m's, peanuts, cheerios, and chex cereal.




I lined my kitchen table with wax paper. I put two sheets side by side and actually taped them to the table so it would stay put. I poured out the ingredients from my bowl onto the table and then mixed in the pretzels. By the way, I used the small snap pretzels (mini squares).



I melted the chocolate and oil in the microwave in 15 second intervals until completely melted. The chocolate should be almost watery. I poured it over my mix on the table and mixed it well using my hands. Kind of messy, but since I didn't have a bowl big enough, I improvised. Hey! It worked.



I let the mix cool and harden for a while maybe 30 minutes or so. Of course, I ate some during that time. I had to make sure it was good. HA!

Then I separated some of the pieces, filled up my containers, and voila! Yummy!



I placed a pretty bow on the package along with a name tag and delivered them that night. I hope everyone liked their gift! ;)


I hope you continue your Holiday traditions and share with others. You never know. You're tradition may very well become someone else's tradition.

No comments: