Saturday, November 19, 2011

Home Alone and my DIY Project

Yes, that is correct......I am Home Alone. Daddy took Mason to Greensboro for the weekend, so I actually have 2 days (almost) to myself. My only goal was to NOT clean. So far, so good (except one load of laundry). I did get out of the house for a bit, but came right back home to watch Lifetime and Hallmark movies. There really isn't much on TV, but I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.

I have been working on a few things lately. My DIY project is a chalkboard for the kitchen. I have wanted one for the past few years, but couldn't stomach the $100+ price. Especially for something that I can make myself.

I started with a picture that I bought at the Salvation Army for $5. I was more interested in the frame and making sure the glass was in good condition.





I removed the backing from the frame, the art work, and the matting.






I used this paint to spray paint the wood frame. I chose a color that would match my kitchen. Sort of in between a sage and lime green. This particular color was only available in a glossy finish, but I will use sand paper to 'rough' it up a bit so it didn't really matter.




I applied 2 light coats of paint to the frame and let it dry in between each coat. Then I let it dry for several days before using the sand paper.



A close up after using the sand paper. I love the look it gave the frame. It's exactly what I wanted.


While I was waiting on the frame to dry. I started painting the glass with the chalkboard paint. I have applied 3 coats so far, but it is recommended that you use 4 to 5 coats. This is the step that has taken the longest. I am applying only one coat each day to make sure it's completely dried.





I'm excited to see the finished product hanging in my kitchen and I'm SUPER excited this project cost me $25. I still have paint left over for another project. Money well spent.

No comments: